Attention! Do not let cats drink from flower tubs

Cats are habit animals and there are many habits - also with regard to drinking behavior. However, if Miez drinks from the planter, you should stop her. The irrigation water may be harmful or toxic to your velvet paw.

As a cat owner, you may know it: The fresh, clear water from the bowl is strictly ignored, and instead, your cat drinks stale water from the toilet, aquarium, or flower tub or flower vase. This is usually not very bad, but can be quite dangerous for the cat's health.

Water from the planter can be poisonous

If your cat drinks from the planter, say, when you have watered your flower and the rest of the water in the coaster is flowing back, it can be dangerous for a variety of reasons. Thus, if necessary, the fertilizer from irrigation water or potting soil with the water through the cat's tongue into the body - here there is acute danger of poisoning. If there is a poisoning, you usually recognize it by symptoms such as salivation, vomiting or cramps. For more information on what you will see a poisoning of your cat, see the guide "poisoning cats: These symptoms indicate".

Cats can also become ill from the water of non-fertilized plants, as the flowers secrete harmful substances to the cat when withering or rotting. For the cat household, therefore, better choose flower tubs and flower pots without coasters and those with no water under them.

Cats should drink fresh water

It is sometimes difficult for cat owners to observe what, when and how much the velvet paw drinks - cats are very creative in drinking unnoticed from other sources of water in the home. The water level in the bowl does not always provide information about the amount actually drunk. Even if your cat likes a lot of stagnant water, you should always offer your fresh water. If water is longer, it can become a bacteria trap. Leftovers, sunlight and Co. can make the water go bad.

However, if you suspect that your cat is drinking too little, you should have it checked by a veterinarian. Dehydration can be dangerous and must be avoided at all costs. Diseases such as urinary stones and cystitis are usually the result. Even if your cat suddenly drinks a lot, you should have this checked by the vet. Read more in the guide "Cat suddenly drinks a lot of water: What can it be?".

Share with friends

Leave your comment